Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 2

Today, I feel like God was everywhere! I had a few moments today when I thought, "I should write about this tonight". A part of me wants to stock pile these us, in the event that I have a bad and uneventful day, but today wasn't a particularly good day, but I still saw God all over the place. 


First, I met with McCormick people about my field site and stuff for next year. I saw God in the affirmation of my calling, but also in the space to recognize that Knox is a part of that calling. I am meant to be here and I am so excited to spend another year there learning and growing. I see God's hand working in my life and that's great. 


Secondly, there was a small gliche in my CPE plans for this summer. Again, I feel affirmed in my calling and knowing that Christ (Advocate Hospital not JC) is where I am supposed to be. However, I was reminded that just because it fits perfectly and is everything I want, it doesn't mean that God doesn't have more in store for me. It looks like Christ will be more difficult than I anticipated. I had a moment of "Ya can't just let me be happy with it can ya, ya gotta keep pushing don't ya?" I knew Christ would be a challenge, but a new obstacle has presented itself and I see that God really wants me to be pushed. I'm not happy about it, but I get it. Nothing is as simples as we want it to be and I should know that when things go smoothly, it's just the calm before the storm. Game on God, I see what you're up to. 


Lastly, I have a few friends whose lives are going to be changed tomorrow. Waiting on test results and placements that will determine the next few years and what seems like the rest of their lives. The anticipation and anxiety are high and there are no words of encouragement that I can offer them.  Those are some of the most stressful days and weeks most of us will ever know, weeks of waiting. Its all about having a plan. Most people have an idea of what life is supposed to look like and when that future is in someone else's hands we get anxious. But why? (I fully acknowledge this is a perfect place to talk about predestination, but it's not happening tonight) Why do we get so anxious when we don't know what the future holds? 


As I was reading for Dr. Braxton's class I read a quote in one of his sermons that fit this situation perfectly. “It’s a short step from having an interest in your life and making an idol god out of your life.” I think we make an idol out of our lives. The plan. The way it's supposed to be. We constantly work the plan, everyday is another step in the plan. The plan we see, isn't God's plan. We put all this time, effort, and energy into our plan, even figuring out God's plan. Regardless of the direction in which we are led, our destination is the same. As I wait with my friends to see what tomorrow brings, it's not with anxiety. God will lead us where we need to be. I trust in God's plan, wherever that takes us. 

No comments: