Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 5

I led my first high school small group tonight. The youth director had been at a men's retreat all weekend and asked me to lead tonight. I have been waiting for this opportunity for a while now and I'm so glad that I did. I had to lead a mini worship, which was fine. The only problem was that the leader is normally the accompaniment. So we were left singing Awesome God and Sanctuary a capella, they never fail me. 


Tonight's topic was about stress, how to deal with stress and how Lent can help us. I thought I did a fairly good job at writing discussion questions, leading them into figuring out that by praying they can relieve a lot of stress from their lives. Turns out, these kids don't need me at all. The discussion went great! They were involved and talkative and knew exactly where I was going with this. I didn't really lead them anywhere. They asked questions of each other and showed more depth than most adults I know. 


I was stressed about this small group time. I didn't know what to talk about and how they would react. Whenever you lead a small group of teens there is the fear that no one will talk. Turns out, an hour later, I had to cut them off because it was time to go.  I see the irony in being stressed about a small group on stress, but these kids taught me a few things. They talked about prayer being more than sitting at your bed at night and how God can act as your inner monologue. They know that prayer works and have no doubts about God's plan for their lives. Their faith is incredible and tonight God spoke to me through a group of teens that I was supposed to be teaching about God. It is truly amazing to how deep their faith is and how much they understand and still know that they will never truly understand God. Our God is an Awesome God.

No comments: