Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 4

I met up with my oldest brother and sister-in-law while they were in Chicago for the weekend. I am continually amazed at how well we get along. Scott and I weren't close growing up because we're so far apart in age. We grew really close when we were both in Chicago and after living with his family for a year and being an everyday part of each others lives we were almost more like friends. 


I miss him now at odd times, and most of them are sports related. I don't know much about what's going on and I don't keep up, so I got most of my information from him. Today at brunch we saw Jonathan Toews, the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks. I saw Toews, looked at my brother, he nodded, no words were needed. I was star struck and it seems so stupid now. What is even crazier is that my brother and I bonded over that moment. We watched a fair amount of hockey together last year and it was often a topic of conversation. But in that moment, we were on the same page. For as different as we are as individuals we have a lot in common. We caught up on what's going on in our lives, but the rest of the day Toews continued to be part of the conversation.


In the small unimportant moments of life, like seeing a hockey player in a restaurant,  I see God. Even though Scott and I rarely ever talk now that we don't live together, nothing has changed. Within 5 minutes of seeing each other we were connected. It almost sounds silly now, but in that moment God brought us together again. 

No comments: