Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 6

Today we started a Bible study at school. I know it sounds odd, but there hasn't been a Bible study at McCormick. It's hard to coordinate schedules and admittedly, some days I'm tired of the Bible. If you cook all day the last thing you want to do at night is cook. We had an amazingly fruitful discussion about prayer. How do we pray, why do we pray, what do we think happens when we pray etc. It was completely organic, we read a passage and just let our conversation go wehre it needed to go. 


In this discussion I realized that this blog has become my prayer. I so desperately want to see God and be in communication with God that I've missed the forest through the trees. I am becoming more aware of God in my life and that is an act of prayer. I'm still trying to use prayer beads at night and 'traditionally' pray but its mostly a struggle to focus. I saw God in this discussion and the confessions of seminarians about our prayer life. None of us feel like we're as close to God as we should be. By admitting that I feel free to begin to look for God wherever I can. Not just for the purpose of responding to you all every night, but how can I engage God regularly.


What is the 21st century way to pray? How will our generation view prayer? Is it practical to expect people to quietly reflect on their lives when nothing is ever quiet for us? Why do we feel so guilty for not subscribing to the spiritual practices of different generations? How can we redefine prayer? I really wanna know what you think, because I can see that our generation will be different, but I don't really know how or what that looks like. 

No comments: