Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I should really think about writing things before 2am, but it just doesn't really happen. My apologies. Today I saw God in my understanding of the apostle Paul. I hated Paul, he's a misogynist that encourages slavery and the oppression of all LGBTQ brothers and sisters among other things. While I think he has said many things that have been destructive to the body of Christ, today I found myself understanding him in a new light. He's not so bad, he may have said a few lines of really horrible things, but overall, his message for the church is profound. I saw God in my ability to look at the letter of Paul critically and see my own bias from another perspective. While I'm still not on Paul's side of things, I am liking him more. I am thankful for the ability to see past my own context to look at the world in a biblical one and still make sense of it. On Valentines day I learned not to condemn Paul because of a few highly problematic sentences but to embrace the fallibility of all humans, even those who wrote the Bible.

No comments: