Tuesday, June 12, 2012

the ethics of a CPE 'no'

Today in our training for CPE we were confronted with the issue of baptism and communion. While I have started to address these issues in my head there is not concrete answer.  I know what my denomination says I should do, and I have my own thoughts on that. Today I was told that the World Council of Churches believes that in extreme circumstances any believer can baptize someone else. In a hospital setting, no circumstance is ideal. People can't be baptized in front of their faith community or commune with them during the Eucharist. These things are simply not possible and I don't think that it means that they shouldn't be done. 


I think it will be harder to deny a someone baptism or communion than to break the laws of the church. I do not feel that I, as a person called by God to lead God's people, has the right to deny anyone a means for which they believe they can see God. (I understand that this could go to a, what if they see God in killing someone? kinda way, but for my own thoughts, let's assume that their request is reasonable.) Could I look at someone in the eyes and say no? Do I have the right to deny anyone an important ritual of faith? Can I knowingly keep someone from seeing God and feeling the comfort of God? 


Many of these questions were clear in my head as to where I am theologically in those circumstances. Up until we talked about baptizing someone who has already been baptized. Sometimes people view baptism as a cleansing ritual that is to be done as needed. If I am approached to baptize an adult, that has presumably been baptized, would I do it? The same pastoral care issues apply, I don't want to deny anyone that closeness with God. However, I also feel that this theologically is harder for me to justify. I understand from a pastoral perspective why it could be important, but I don't know if I could do it. I don't know why I'm so opposed to it. If someone thinks they're dying and in order to go to heaven, they need to be baptized again, I don't want that person to believe they're going to hell because they haven't been made clean. The hospital is not the time or place to discuss church differences/ polity. It's all very confusing and it's only my 2nd week...

No comments: