Monday, June 4, 2012

CPE Day 1: Diving in

I've noticed something very interesting about myself. It's not a new discovery, but I repeatedly shock myself.  We need to complete 16 shadowing hours within the next two weeks. These shifts are for 4 hours after our regular 8-4 shifts and on the weekends. A few people have chosen to take 8 hours over the weekend, but no, not me. I'm adding four hours to my second day. Tomorrow, I will leave my house at 7am to return around 10pm.


I have received little to no actual training, today we just familiarized ourselves with the building and each other. And tomorrow, I actually start doing things that I really don't think I have any business doing. I am ready to jump in and that's exactly what I did. It may be really dumb, but a very big part of me is excited to see exactly what I will be doing and then learn the rules. 


I often teater on whether or not I'm super type A or not. Sometimes I'm able to jump in head first without looking, but other times I'm really hesitant and unsure. I haven't really been able to find a pattern, but jumping in is more of my style. I'm much more comfortable with a baptism by fire approach. That's how I learned Greek and Hebrew, that how I approached seminary, and now CPE. The common denominator is God. God has given me the confidence to try this. I don't think I'd be this secure if I didn't know that God has meant for me to be here, at this hospital at this time. This placement is perfect for me and I feel reassured. God has led me here and I am able act without thinking and letting myself get in the way. I'm just gonna do it because I know that God's got my back. I'm sure I'll make a splash... 

No comments: