Friday, March 16, 2012

God parent

I have a couple of friends who have recently had babies and tonight I was hanging out with one couple and they are baptizing their baby Sunday. We started to talk about who the Godparents and they have chosen 4 people to be the Godparents. While the discussion of Godparenting can lead into deep debate that is not what came to mind for me tonight.


I've recently come to understand my relationship with God in a different way. I have really taken to this idea of God as my parent and I now see myself as the rebellious adolescent daughter. God and I fight a lot, I'm often mad at God because I feel like God is ruining my life. There are all of these restrictions and changes and even when I'm at my best doing exactly what I should, it is still not enough for God. I become easily frustrated with God, and often think that I know what's best for my life. When I am asked to do something I immediately say no and base my response on some absurd principle. What is interesting is that eventually I realize that God is right and I end up doing what I was asked to do in the first place. Whenever I don't like what God asks me to do, I have to voice my opinion and pout before a cooler head prevails. 


I don't know if this teenage daughter thing will last forever. Certainly I will grow up at some point. I don't know if my relationship with God changes over time, like it does with your parents as you grow into adulthood. Will there ever be a time where I just do what God asks me to do without putting up a fight? I don't know if I even do that now with my parents. A part of me feels like it's healthy to fight back and question things, but I also realize that at some point our relationship must grow and evolve as I do. I'm curious to see how my relationship with God grows over the next few years and if I am that rebellious teen or is this how God and I work. Only time will tell. 

No comments: