Friday, January 11, 2013

Processing through Pictures

Last night something incredible happened. On the flight home from Haiti, one of the other 'adults' took everyone's camera and downloaded all of our pictures. I got 1661 to mark my trip! There is such a wonderful mix of pictures that it is truly incredible. I spent probably a good hour staring at the pictures from the trip, and all I could think of was the wonderful stories that are being told through these pictures. Thus, I feel like a good way to share and process this crazy experience that I had would be through pictures. I hope to continue to process while I look through these pictures. While I am tempted to give you all a day by day play by play, I think it is best to share with you the stories that are on my heart and what I need to say. 

I will start with the first child at New Life that blew me away. Her name is Milaua. I don't know much about her story, but I am guessing she's about 7 years old. Our first night, we went over to meet some of the kids. I had taken a shower, because we had been painting all day and I had gotten pretty sweaty. After my shower I went to see the kids and Milaua came right up to me. She grabbed my hand, drug me over a piece in the blacktop, and told me to sit down, which I did. She had a cute hair tie in her hair, which I said that I liked. She proceeded to stand above me, and do my hair. I had two hair ties on my wrist, and she added her own cute bow to put my wet hair in 3 pony tails. I wish I had taken a picture of my ridiculous hair. There was a piece of hair in the front that didn't make it into one of my 3 ponytails and she braided it. 


This was my first interaction with kids from the orphanage. There was very little talking, most of the kids spoke Creole and learn French in school but their English can be hit or miss. I just sat there and let her make of fool out of me, and it was the best 5 minutes I had all day. 

No comments: